Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sarah


There are five girls in my life that I've consistently thought about while masturbating and one of them just died. She was wild and Swedish and we met at a nightclub back when I was cool. She walked up to me and announced she was gay and asked if I was too and then we got into percentages. She was all talk -- 9 months later she was back in Sweden and engaged to some dude.

That night we made out intensely for 20 minutes in the back of a limo that we indulgently hired to take us from Avenue to Motor City. Her friends were all riding with us and I didn't care. She made me feel special, chosen. She was so, so beautiful.

There was more to it. I had recently split up with someone who had a wandering eye and a penchant for blonde models. Here she was, exactly that only better. She wasn't after my boyfriend, she was after me. She held my hand and stroked my hair and I completely swooned.

Needless to say, when I found out she died of cancer at age 26, I was stunned. And it's so cliche it's almost not worth mentioning, but she was so vibrant and full of life -- it just didn't make earthly sense. It still doesn't.

Last night I read through all of our text messages. Her last one to me: "Come to Le Bain. Bring Laura." Laura, my tall, blonde, beautiful friend. I had somehow forgotten about that and the sting I had felt when reading it the first time. I had been telling myself that we were nothing but platonic until I felt those pangs of jealousy and knew there was something else, something more -- at least for me.

I want so badly to have more of a story. More than those scattered and frenetic nights of parties and bar hopping together. I want to miss her more than I do, and will, which is not to say I won't miss her at all, because I will. Very much.